Tuesday, October 7, 2014

Week six diary

Today we were supposed to discuss working without a native speaker but ended up talking mostly about working with a native speaker. This was partly because the book chapters we read (6 and 7 in the Marshall book) are supposed to be about when you've exhausted the possibilities with your language partner but don't really get into that.  (Although ch. 7 does talk about how to work outside of your target country.) N led our discussion and it was fruitful.

All three students have spent time in their target cultures and were able to reflect on what worked well for them in that context and what they might do differently in the future. Some good ideas were exchanged about how to integrate what they are doing on their own with what they are doing with their language partners.

E is considering creating a Swahili book discussion group, which I think would be great. Maybe I'll go too!

None of them seem frustrated with their language learning, so I take that as a good sign.  N said she is practicing what she knows more than learning new things, but she seems okay with that.

I wonder if we need a slightly more structured way of reporting on their weekly progress. It feels a little like when I ask my 12-year-old how school was and he just says, "Good" and shrugs.

N and E reported back on the books I loaned them. It sounds like Lingo may not be helpful but the DIY guide might be. L borrowed the latter so I haven't had a chance to look at it yet, but based on E's feedback I might incorporate it into the course next time I teach it.

No comments:

Post a Comment